Project: Plaid and Blackwork Checkbook cover
Designer: Marjorie b. Berleur
Type of needlework: Needlepoint and Blackwork
Comments: I was looking for something that I would be proud to be my checkbook in instead of those awful plastic ones that the banks give you whenever you open a checking account. One of my friend came to my rescue with this lovely design. It had two elements that I found interesting together, plaid and blackwork, so there was not a moment hesitation for me to decide that I wanted to stitch this one. I may make another one. The only part of this project I found a bit difficult was when I was doing the first half of the plaid. Somehow it had a dizzying effect on me. It may do the same thing on you when you look at one photo in particular and then again, perhaps it won't.
The photo above shows you the front part of the finished checkbook. The photo just below this text shows you the back.
UPDATE: Tennessee (Nashville) flooding update: http://www.tennessean.com/
(Photo showing the back of the checkbook cover)
(Photo showing my checkbook cover in its plastic cover)
(Photo showing the front outline)
(Photo showing the Smyrna Star outline)
(Photo showing two Blackwork section completed)
(A view of what has been stitched so far)
(Photo showing all the Blackwork sections done)
(Another view showing all the Blackwork completed
with the front still to be stitched)
(This is my dizzying photo with only the first part of the plaid done)
(Overall view of the first half of plaid done with Blackwork completed)
(This photo shows the left side plaid completed and the right side waiting to be done)
(Photo showing my initials and the finishing border all around it)
This checkbook cover was made with #16 count Aida and using #12 Perle Cotton for the main color and DMC floss to match the main color and 3 colors of floss to complete the plaid.
This project could also work for a two year planner instead of a checkbook.